Since Google search result rankings make a huge difference in website traffic, it's important to understand what that search engine and its competitors are looking for when they rank sites. Increasingly, Google has said that it looks at content as a major factor in determining results rankings. The world's most popular search engine, though, doesn't disclose details of its ranking algorithms. Only by studying the factors it does disclose and looking at actual high-ranking websites can you tell what Google is looking for in page content. Here's a quick guide to some of the most important factors that are common to top-of-the-first-page sites:
- Topic Relevance - Google knows that people want information when they use search engines. So, it gives ranking priority to pages that deliver accurate information on the topics of user searches. It expects to find content that relates directly to a search and that sticks to the topic.
- Content Quantity - In studies of pages that ranked at the top of the first page of Google results, it was found that #1 ranked pages averaged over 1500 words of content. Why? Because longer content conveys more information. Information means relevance to Google.
- Topic Pages Are More Important than Home Pages - Look at your site metrics. Google is sending people to secondary pages on your website more and more. It's looking for content that closely matches search phrases with relevant information. Every page counts.
- User Behavior on Pages - Bounce rates are important in page rankings. If visitors stay on landing pages and visit additional pages on the same site, Google rewards the site and page with higher rankings. What keeps visitors on your pages? Compelling, relevant writing.
- Keyword Use and Related Keywords - This has become the heart of effective SEO. Searches are longer today. Further, Google knows what other searches relate to the specific searches its users type. Focusing only on specific target keywords and phrases isn't enough. All content must be relevant.
If your website and its pages don't attract plenty of visitors through high search engine results rankings, they are guaranteed to fail. Many factors affect rankings, but content quality, relevance and thoroughness are huge factors in current rankings assignments for every search. Top quality content, professionally written with both Google and your visitors in mind, is more essential than it has ever been.
Email Me for a free, no-obligation evaluation of your current website's content, or call George Campbell at 651-774-7999.